Sunday 17 June 2012

It's the "Hit Parade"!

When I was 11 years old, I used to go for English tuition classes at a Singapore-syllabus centre because my best friend went there, and I wanted to go too. The teacher would give us these long vocabulary lists to memorize, and our homework every week was to copy out about 20 words and meaning from the dictionary that we didn't know. It was a refreshing challenge compared to the low-standard English that we were taught in local government schools. That was 13 years ago, but today at age 23, I find myself printing out about 400 words from Princeton Review's "Hit Parade" list of most popularly used words in the GRE - and I look at these words and I go, "Whoa, I've never seen that anywhere before... or that, or that, or that...". Time to compete with the 11-year-old me that once eagerly did her dictionary homework from English tuition classes every week.

A couple more helpful websites for this and more GRE stuff here and here.


0 comments: