Thursday 5 February 2015

Grey Goo.

I can't believe it's already been a month since I last blogged. I guess I've been busy, and life moves at a fast pace - until I fall sick, which is why I'm currently unproductive and thought I'd take a few minutes to update my blog.

After I got married in winter break, I had to go back to USC for the spring semester. It was then that I realized that I didn't need to be in LA for the most part, because the only two classes I have this semester are Thesis and Directed Research. That means no conventional "classes" that are held in classrooms. It was kinda like, errr, why am I back here? I was mostly in my apartment, and I didn't even get to see my friends much because I didn't have any classes with them.

So my flurry of tying-up-loose-ends paperwork began. I got permission from all my supervisors and advisors to stay in Austin until graduation week. So after just three weeks in LA, I flew back to Austin. Darren was ecstatic. He's still ecstatic. Home sweet home!

Now I just have Skype meetings with my supervisors once a week and do my internship and job work from the comfort of my laptop at home in Leander. I cannot describe the joy and comfort of being able to wake up next to my husband every morning, instead of alone in my apartment with no kitchen.

Of course, I always say that life is fair, and good stuff comes with not-so-good stuff too. When I arrived in Texas my husband was sick with a fever and cold, and we both knew that I would probably catch it too. I was hopeful though! But despite my relentless attempts to take vitamins and drink lots of water, I inevitably fell sick just as he started recovering. I felt like crap for the past few days, and now I'm feeling a little better but my nose is all stuffy and runny at the same time. All the same, I'd still rather feel like crap at home than anywhere else in the world.

Oh and I titled this Grey Goo because Darren was at PAX South two weekends ago - that's where he caught his cold, actually - and he got a Grey Goo souvenir. It was a glob of "grey goo" that sticks and slides off walls when you throw it. It's surprisingly fun to play with, until we decided to try the ceiling. Suffice to say that it was really hard to get off and now there's a permanent mark on the ceiling where we threw the Grey Goo. Lmao.

On other news, our green card petition is underway and we're keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best. That's another reason why it was more practical for me to stay in Texas than LA, because I would have to fly back a few times for green card processing stuff. It turns out it's really expensive to buy flight tickets on short notice, so we're really glad to be saving the money with just one flight!

I'm definitely excited to vlog about our whole green card process and experience to share on YouTube once it's all done. But for now, I'll start making vlog videos again about our wedding and probably grad school or life in general. I really miss making videos, it's so much fun!

P.S: Speaking of Grey Goo, PAX and the gaming world, I actually started playing Rift after I submitted the first draft of my thesis. I played it for about 3 days and then I got busy again, but maybe I'll pick it up again when I feel better. It was actually pretty fun even though I felt like a noob starting over in a new game - didn't even figure out I had to right-click instead of left-click to pick up items - but I got invited to a random guild and a couple of guildmates helped me out with some gameplay. So that was fun, when I felt a little less lost. :P

0 comments: