Monday 31 March 2014

Lumos!

I've wanted a DSLR for 5 years, and it's finally happened! Well, it's not really a DSLR, but it sure works like one, haha. I got a Panasonic Lumix G6 and it's like falling in love all over again.

Panasonic Lumix G6 for $579 from Amazon
After researching different types of DSLR cameras and speaking to friends who are photography enthusiasts/photographers, I learned that DSLRs within my price range can't autofocus while the video is recording. And then it turns out that a new breed of "mirrorless" cameras have emerged that meet DSLR-quality standards, which is just what I needed! These Compact Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras are lighter, smaller and autofocuses during video recording. I also needed an adjustable LCD screen because, well, face it, this girl loves selfies. :P This Lumix G6 is even a touchscreen one, which is so awesome compared to any camera I've ever used before.

I've always wanted to take pictures where the background blurs out, hahaha
Because I frontloaded most of my work toward the front of the week, I had plenty of time over the weekend to learn how to use my new camera, fix on the lens and UV filter, figure out how to set up my tripods and let a friend (who incidentally works for Panasonic) teach me the basics of focusing and video frames! 


Why did I need a DSLM? Because I was using my Nikon Coolpix digital camera for my Multimedia Content class, but realized that the frame size was a problem and the poor video quality was another issue. Also, I want to start making more YouTube videos and vlog now that I've learned the basics of Adobe Premiere Pro. :D Video content creation is a must-have skill now in the public relations industry, and being a socio-tech girl I gotta sharpen my skills! :)

This is the video I made for my first video editing class where we were given 15 minutes to get A-roll and B-roll, which inspired me to invest in a real camera asap.


And this is the first video we made on the TriSight YouTube team, with real DSLR cameras:

0 comments: