Sunday 7 March 2010

"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" -Ernest Gaines


Pictured: Benjamin McKay and Edwin Sumun (Shelah) leading a discussion about Quentin Crisp

Today, Cynthia (a.k.a. "Datin Diva") brought me to an arts & crafts bazaar called "Art For Grabs" at The Annexe Gallery, Pasar Seni. :D


Cynthia and the many pairs of shoes in her car. Everyone say "LOL" together now!

It was basically an artsy, indie kinda scene - a relatively small (but perhaps burgeoning) community of performers, academics, filmmakers and the like. But today's event was a little more special because it was also a queer awareness thing. :P PT Foundation and Seksualiti Merdeka organised it, after all. :D




Shangari (hereinafter known as "Hammy") decided to meet us there. :D One of the coolest souveniers of the day: we got a photo with Mr Ben! :D :D :D We totally miss his classes since we've taken all the film units available. :( He always makes us laugh so much in class!


Far left: Pang Khee Teik, arts director of The Annexe | Mr Benjamin McKay from Monash :)


Cynthia bought books, Shangari signed petitions :P

I signed the petition too, but I don't remember what it was for. LOL!


Banned stuff are the best stuff.


OMG. We Met Amir Muhammad! :D :D :D

He's standing like this in the photo because he didn't want to make us feel so short. Hahaha! I think he does this in most photos with strangers who come up to him asking for a picture. :P


It was an arts and crafts bazaar after all, so of course we had to do some browsing!


Met a fellow shopping kaki, Michelle Tam :D Got to know her online via the online-shopping circuit.


Cynthia bought earrings | I wanted to buy a white-and-yellow flower ring from here, but didn't :(


Shangari bought a painting! And a bookmark made by Orang Asli (aboriginal people).


Mr Ben bought fridge magnets made out of embarassingly funny headlines :P

Other cool stuff we saw but didn't buy: handmade cards, bags, shirts, trinkets, and more! I didn't buy anything today actually, and I'm not too sure why. :( I only bought food and paid for parking. So my entire day out only cost me RM13.90. LOL. So I guess my only souveniers from today are photographs!





Cynthia almost bought this shirt:


But instead, we all bought hot rolls:


Fun day out! Great artsy experience :D And I feel like I've gained new insight about gay people thanks to the film and the forum that followed it!




And now ... I've got to turn to my huge stack of things to read for uni! Heeee. The usual Monash workload. I'm so glad I'm not doing YSK anymore, because then there'd be no time to just relax and have fun!

PS: Remember that physiotherapy center I worked for over the summer? One of my bosses was on the radio, along with one of the senior physiotherapists! :D Lee Ann sent me the link, so I thought it'd be interesting to share here.

0 comments: